Posted by Bob Lord
I found this post regarding military spending at Truthdig.com yesterday
It points out how stunning (and depressing) our discourse in this area is. Romney is out there beating the drum for increased military spending, and that's the focal point of the debate. If sanity were to prevail, the debate would be over whether to cut military spending by one-half, or two-thirds. And at the same time, we discuss how deep the cuts to Medicaid and Medicare need to be in order to right our fiscal ship. This is crazy talk. Yet, if you look throughout the country, Congressional district by Congressional district, you'd be hard pressed to find any Democrat or Republican, speaking sanely on this issue. Instead, only Green and Libertarian candidates speak out, we label them fringe candidates, and they garner 2% or so of the vote. The other 98% prefer we bankrupt ourselves running 1000 bases strewn around the globe. Pathetic.