Posted by AzBlueMeanie:
Andrew Sprung at Xpostfactoid has compiled the “Romney Rules” for which the media villagers really ought to keep a copy of this in their pocket at all times for quick reference:
Weekly, Steve Benen tallies up the latest instances of Mitt's Mendacity.
* * *
I find the laser focus on lying a little narrow: the modes of Mitt's deception are manifold. As a private equity chief, Romney was a master of playing a rigged game, or of himself rigging games in his firm's favor; he has carried that skill to the political arena. He would have the election played by Romney Rules, compiled below.
1. Context doesn't matter. Anything you say I may use against you, e.g., by making it sound like you said the opposite.
2. My record shall be judged by different standards from that of my opponent. For example, job losses in my first year in office don't count; in his, they shall define his entire record.
3. What I said 18, 10, 4, or 3 years ago doesn't matter. Erase it from your mind. I've been as consistent as human beings (all three of me) can be.
4. When confronted directly with past positions that seem to contradict current ones, I may so thoroughly bend the positions back against each other that none shall be able to penetrate my paradoxes.
5. I may erase the memory of my record of past moderation by attacking my opponents for their imagined moderation.
6. It's not my responsibility to counter the lies, smears, paranoid delusions or bloodthirstiness of my supporters.
7. I may myself endlessly repeat wild accusations about my opponent that have no basis in fact. Relatedly, I may draw an endless series of false contrasts (on healthcare, Detroit rescue, stimulus) between my policies and his.
8. I may refrain from taking a stand on pending legislation that, if passed, will have a profound impact on Americans' lives.
9. I may promise enormous new tax cuts and call them "revenue neutral" without spelling out the correspondingly enormous tax loophole closures needed to offset those cuts -- or the enormous spending cuts that even a "revenue neutral" deficit reduction plan would require.
10. I may lie with impunity to the American people for months and years -- and be rewarded with the presidency.