Oppose the war in Iraq? Then you should know how much it has already cost and will cost Arizona's citizens. Here's a summary:
- The cost to taxpayers in Arizona of the running total of $378 billion will be $5.2 billion.
- Of the 3,024 U.S. soldiers that have been killed in the Iraq War, 75 are from Arizona.
- Of the nearly 23,000 U.S. soldiers that have been wounded in the conflict, 491 are from Arizona.
- Adding another 21,500 troops will cost American taxpayers another $5.6 billion per year.
- The war is essentially financed through deficit spending, so interest payments over time could amount to another $100 billion or more.
- Health care costs and disability benefits for the wounded soldiers may also exceed $100 billion.
- Before the war began, administration officials projected that the conflict would cost only $50 billion.